Congratulations on getting your braces on! From now on you will need to be meticulous with the care and cleaning of your braces to ensure you get the best result. Here are a few tips to keep a clean and healthy smile throughout treatment:
- Brush after every meal
- When cleaning hard to reach areas, use a small proxy brush (under the wire or around the brackets)
- Floss at least once a day, be sure the floss cleans underneath the gums as well as in between teeth
- Make an appointment to see us as soon as possible if there are any broken brackets
Listed below are some frequent problems patients encounter with their braces as well as solutions to the problems:
- If wire is out of bracket, place the wire back in tube with tweezers
- Add wax to any broken brackets until they can be fixed in the office
- Tuck steel ties underneath arch wire
We care about our patients and we understand that not every problem can be fixed at home, if that is the case we are more than happy to see you or your child in the office to correct any problem during treatment with us.
What you can expect:
- The first few days will be the biggest challenge. You can expect sore teeth, excessive saliva, dry lips, difficulty with eating, and a mild speech impediment. Don’t worry! All of this will subside within 2-3 days of starting treatment. A mild pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol can be helpful the first day.
- Teeth will become slightly more mobile during treatment. Small spaces may temporarily open between teeth. These are normal findings.
- The best symptom of having braces is a beautiful smile at the end of treatment!
Starting Point Dental is the starting point for healthy smiles. Our mission is simply to be the best in all areas of pediatric dentistry and orthodontics in Overland Park and Kansas City. Contact our Kansas City pediatric dentist today.