Outside of normal business hours, a member of our team can be reached for emergencies. An emergency means a problem that cannot wait until normal business hours. Examples of an emergency would be a fall or some trauma to the teeth or mouth. You can reach us outside of business hours by calling the office and following the prompts to reach our on-call team member.
Emergency Dental Services
What to do
When your child has a dental emergency, you want a professional opinion to quickly and confidently get the care they need.
Starting Point Dental has answers to some of the most common concerns below, but do not hesitate to call us about emergency dental care in Kansas City!
- Begin by flossing the area to dislodge anything that may be stuck between the teeth.
- If you see swelling, apply a cold compress to the outside of the face.
- You can administer over-the-counter pain relief medication (Ibuprofen or Tylenol) according to package directions. DO NOT place aspirin on the gums as this can cause a burn to the gum tissue.
- If discomfort and/or swelling persist, call the office.
Knocked out tooth
Call our office immediately. We will need to take an x-ray of the area.
If the tooth is a baby tooth, these teeth should not be re-implanted. The Tooth Fairy may be coming for that tooth a little earlier than expected.
If the tooth is an adult tooth – find the tooth and handle it by the crown, not the root, then gently rinse it with water. Place the tooth back in the socket as soon as possible. Have your child stabilize the tooth using gauze or a washcloth on your way to the dentist. If placing the tooth back in the socket is not possible, place it in some milk and get to the dentist immediately!
Chipped or Fractured Tooth
- Call our office immediately, and we will help determine if the tooth requires urgent treatment.
- If the teeth are more sensitive than usual, administer over-the-counter pain relief medication according to the package direction.
Cut Lip or Cheek
- Apply firm pressure with a soft cloth to the cut.
- If bleeding is not controlled within 15 minutes, contact our office and/or go to the nearest emergency room.
- Applying ice to injured areas will also help control swelling.
Cold or Canker Sores
Over-the-counter medications can provide temporary relief until the sore heals. These sores can sometimes be signs of more serious illnesses, let us know if the sores worsen and/or persist.
Benefits of Starting Point
Book with confidence
Confidently book your child’s dental appointment in Kansas City when you know your coverage and payment options.
Explore more options
Our board-certified pediatric dentists and orthodontists can explore and offer more options to achieve your child’s goals.
Enjoy the experience
Our dentists specialize in giving kids the care and special consideration they need to have successful dental appointments in Kansas City.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your child has excessive bleeding that won’t stop or experiences pain and does not feel they can wait until our next business day, we recommend going to the emergency room for immediate treatment.
Always inform your child’s dentist as soon as possible after dental emergencies outside business hours.